Friday 1 May 2009

Fallen Angel Dark Mead


I’m quite excited about this one, being somewhat of a Sandman fan, whose tipple of choice is a Dark Mead. The bottle’s very cool, with a threaded cork and a proper flask like shape. The name of the brewery’s evocative too, so perhaps I’m getting too excited.

The mead itself is a reddish brown colour, and at some point I’ll need to investigate what makes a dark mead, dark. The scent is that of a honey wine which doesn’t bode well, and the initial taste is very similar to one of the more ordinary meads.

It’s not unpleasant, and will probably be better chilled, but I was hoping for something spectacular. Ah well, it at least reinforces my idea to share the bottle.

With ice, and over time the scent becomes more subtle, and perhaps there is something different to the taste although I can’t quite make it out. A certain bite to it which may not be altogether pleasant.

Overall it’s far from the ‘drunken diabetics piss’ of American Gods, in fact its perfectly drinkable and as pleasant as most Mead. It’s just not what what I wanted

Expectations and ideals are sometimes better left in the bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment