Friday 10 April 2009

Lurgashall English Honey Mead


After a stupidly busy week at work, I’ve finally found the time and headspace to try one of the Mead’s I acquired at the Hive last weekend.

And very nice it was too, definitely the best of the bunch so far which considering the expense (£9.95 for 50cl) is a good thing.

Produced down in Sussex like many good things, Lurgashall English Honey Mead has quite a smooth sweet taste, with a bit of a spicy tang and a strong honey aroma. Considerably less sticky that the Harvest Gold, but probably just as sweet. The tang is also very pleasant and it slips down very quickly indeed. hic….

The bottle has an old school cork, so my random ideas about Mead and Corks were clearly untrue, and although not cheap from the Hive, the Lurgasall website lists it at £7.50 a bottle or £45 a case.

Lurgashall also suggests it goes well with Cheddar cheese, which I have still to test, but for now it seems to go well with Cheddar biscuits which is kind of the same thing, well not really but still salty and nice.
Well balanced, with a very full, sweet honeyed flavour – but not too sweet! Our most popular mead.

Lovely over ice or mulled with spices, or orange and ginger. It goes well with Cheddar cheese and is a great accompaniment to desserts. Try adding two-thirds tonic and a squeeze of fresh lime for a superb cocktail.

I think good things will come of the Lurgashall range and I’m looking to find out more. Until then I’m starting to wonder how many Meads there are out there?

Last night I ended up listening to most of what was the Sisters of Mercy and chatting with a mate about Mead. He’s also into drinking Mead at Witchfest, and has a couple of bottles of Polish fortified Mead at home which I’ve yet to see. This strongly suggest there’s a damn more types of Mead than I’ve seen imagined far.

The Sisters wasn’t anything special, it’s not that they were bad, although the sound was pretty shite, it’s just that I wanted something epic, something awesome, something to remind me of younger days. Hence forward I’ll stick to the Mead.

No comments:

Post a Comment