Saturday 8 August 2009

Midaus Balzamaz Zalgiris


So I’ve cleared my pallet for the 6th and final mead of the Midaus set.At 75% abv I’m kind on intimidated by this one, but as an experience and an obstacle it needs to be done.

And a word of the ennui of existence. It’s a Saturday night and a set of fine musicians are playing up the road. My friends are scattered across London and the country, and so I guess I’m going alone, which would be a lonely experience if I wasn’t so used to it.

Entertainment is what it is, and although better in the good company of others, there is perhaps something in my nature that makes it unlikely to happy. Thus the enuui to which I refuse to surrender.

So to the mead, this time a mead balsam which I think means something.
A mead distillate of wonderful taste and aroma, with cranberry juice and lemon juice.

A mellow scent, with a hint of the strength but not much more. I’m hoping this one isn’t too drinkable, as that way lie blindness and oblivion.

Agghhh the taste entirely what you’d expect almost pure ethyl, numb lips and nothing much to taste. I’d be tempted to dilute it with something but can’t see the point. However persistence in the face of adversity.

So with water it’s drinkable but still no fun, and not to be repeated. No more than I expected and other true meads await.

3 comments:

  1. Hm. I got a much larger bottle of this substance as a souvenir from my Lithuanian friends. Tried it and just burned my tongue... Bottle stick to a bar shelf until one winter evening. I got home (near Moscow, Russia) from long business trip with a severe cold... First thing I make big cup of hot sweet black tea, and then something kicked me to pour about 30 cl of Zalgiris to that tea cup. Taste was quite interesting, and this cup make me really sleepy. When I awake next morning, I feeled myself almost fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops. Just re-read my post above and found that I wrote 30 cl where should be 30 ml... ;) Be aware... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Worth a try though, Mead and strong tea as a cure for colds. Now I just need a cold.

    Watch this space.

    ReplyDelete