Thursday 11 June 2009

Midaus Nektaras Sventine


The second mead from deep inside the Crouch End Triangle, this one is considerably stronger at 30% abv, so much so that Midus describes it as a Mead Nectar rather than a mead.

With the deep brown color of Whiskey and a sweet scent with a scented alcohol tang this promises to be quite interesting. There’s definitely a strong aroma of something here, perhaps a Vanilla, and the Midus site describes it thus:
It is of a mild taste and aroma, and of beautiful red color. The spiciness of the mead nectar is provided by the juice of blueberries, cranberries, and cherries. The drink is enjoyed by little sips from little shot glasses; it goes with sweet desserts the best.

First taste is very pleasant like a dessert wine with a fruity flavor; I know there’s quite a bit of alcohol there but its subtle. The aroma’ still pungent and subsequent sips lack the initial shock of the fruit but are still good. Equally as my taste buds adjust I’m coming to recognize the strength of the Mead brandy.

Undoubtedly not a session drink, but a pleasant tipple, although I'm intrigued to know why the other 4 meads / mead brandies in the set are so much stronger, and the other ordinary meads are so neglected.

1 comment:

  1. Given to me as a thank from my next door neighbour Diva for fixing her water tap. What a beautiful fruity drink this is. As recommended I drank it neat with short sips and it didn't disappoint. Warming and soothing like a good brandy it slips down like cough medicine coating the mouth and throat as it calms the taste buds. What a delicious drink. How come I have not had or heard of it before. I highly recommend it as a compelling after dinner beverage. Chris.

    ReplyDelete