Sunday 16 August 2009

Lyme Bay Westcountry Mead


So last weekend after an eclectic pub crawl around South London, I ended up in Borough Market a wee bit merry and in a foody mood. Never a cheap combination.

After a certain amount of investigation I bought myself half a kilo of Stilton from the Neals Yard dairy and some Mead from the New Forest cider company who seemed to be the only stall in the place to carry the Amber nectar, from the Lyme Bay range. Ok I admit it, I bought a wee bottle of cider too, but there was an excuse. I'd promised to buy my Dad some Mead in exchange for the Stilton, and it seemed rude not to buy some cider too, after he got talking to the proprietor.

The Stilton didn’t last very long, and god was it good. Cholesterol is something that happens to other people, and the pork steaks in Stilton were worth dying for..

The Mead lasted the week, at least until a small posse of people appeared round my flat to play board games, and I wanted to offer them something more delicate that the Harvest Gold I was drinking, as their first initiation into Mead.

So even after Harvest Gold, the West County Mead was pretty sweet. After the sweetness there’s a strong taste of honey, and the scent to match so it’s quite nice but its sweetness does it a disservice.

Not a bad tipple, I’ll finish the bottle tomorrow and ruminate more, but nothing earth shattering. So I think I’ve failed in attracting new drinkers to the cause. At least this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment