Saturday 11 April 2009

Mead over Ice


At some point on my travels I stumbled upon the following tip for the serving of Mead:
Serve hot in winter time or ice cold in summer

Which for me conjures up images of sticking a red hot poker into a sizzling goblet of Mead on a winters evening. I’m not sure I can wait to winter to try this, but in between the drinking of Mead with Ice is an easier achievement.

It’s also quite pleasant, and the chill emphasizes the bitter flavors which is good when the Mead is good (like Lurgashall) but less good when the Mead is poor.

Magners reinvented cider by advertising the idea of serving over ice. Their cider may be bland, sweet and dull, adding ice to cider is a perversity, but it did do wonders for the industry, so perhaps one could do the same for the drinking of Mead.

In this post Magners world every supermarket now stocks a solid half dozen good ciders, perhaps one day they’ll do the same with Mead.

No comments:

Post a Comment