Wednesday 11 November 2009

Witches Mead


So this blog has been bumbling along for a fair few months now, and I occasionally wonder why it started, and what it was that inspired my interest in Mead beyond the ennui of existence? So here’s an incident that perhaps contributed.

For the last couple of years I’ve been an occasional exhibitor at Witchfest international, which needless to say is held in the delights of Croydon town. I’m not quite sure how I started, something to do with Friends of the Earth campaigning at the Eastbourne Lammas fair, and an idea that pagans might be more receptive towards environmental issues.

Environmental campaigning aside, Pagans seemed to be more inclined towards the drinking of Mead, in the same slightly irrational way that re-enactors are. To this end the bar at Fairfield hall, serves Moniack Mead for Witchfest, and it’s a our favourite, economical way of staying slightly tiddly behind the Greenpeace stall.

The last couple of years there’s been an eccentric German Scot guy there selling his own mead which is kind of cool. I think he’s German but ridiculously proud of his Scots heritage in the way normally only North Americans touch.

Previously a friend had brought back a Catch the Bear fortified mead, which at the time tasted unpleasantly lethal. A return taste was much more pleasant, but not sufficient to buy any more, and the slogan ‘Catch the Bear-it works / Barenfang tasty honey liquor’ didn’t sway me, although it’s a cool name Barenfang.

Instead the choice of a sweet aged mead (3 years+) and a demi-sec mead provided irresistible. His publicity material continues:
Aengus MacLeod Met: Mead Delicious Honey Wine
Our delicious Mead has aged carefully for 3 years in oak barrels, former sherry caskets. That aging process makes the amber coloured honey wine sherry-flavoured and assures you will keep your head clear even on the next morning.

Selling for years on CoA Witchfest international and medieval markets in Germany we are well known for out top class Mead.

Our Mead tastes best with 10C to 19 C. Warmed up to 70C it is a delicious hot drink.

My beloved Lovis calls our mead “Sunshine in the Glass”

I’m also intrigued by the idea that he sells Mead by the can, although my feeling is he means that stone bottles, which you get with Dutch gin / Jenever.

Needless to say he also sells a range of drinking horns, well you would wouldn’t you. Although very tempted they kind of looked like they’d just fallen off the cow, and I’m afraid the taste of horn might corrupt my mead.

So onto the drinking of German mead.....

1 comment:

  1. And a final comment, I meant to post some tasting notes about Moniack mead, as I have after all drunk enought. However I've kind of forgotten, and so will return with some notes from the bottle I've now got.

    ReplyDelete